Trump skipping son Don Jr.’s weekend wedding, citing ‘circumstances pertaining to govt.’

OAN Staff Jenna Lee
3:49 PM – Friday, May 22, 2026
President Donald Trump announced on Friday that he will not be attending the wedding of his eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., to Palm Beach socialite Bettina Anderson this weekend, citing pressing government business.
While Trump officially confirmed his absence on Friday, he had subtly signaled the move a day earlier, telling reporters in the Oval Office that his administration’s intense focus on the Iran conflict, amid other crucial ongoing initiates, would likely prevent him from traveling to the Bahamas for the wedding.
“He’d like me to go, but it’s going to be just a small, little private affair, and I’m going to try and make it. I’m in the midst — I said, ‘You know, this is not good timing for me, I have a thing called Iran and other things.’ That’s one I can’t win on. If I do attend, I get killed, if I don’t attend, I get killed, by the fake news, of course, I’m talking about, no. But he’s got a very — a person who I’ve known for a long time, and hopefully, they’re going to have a great marriage,” Trump told reporters at the Oval Office Thursday.
Don Jr. previously called his December engagement to Anderson a “big win.”
This will be the president’s eldest son’s second marriage. He was previously married to Vanessa Trump, with whom he shares five children, and he was also previously engaged to Kimberly Guilfoyle, the current U.S. Ambassador to Greece and ex-wife of Governor Gavin Newsom (D-Calif.).
Ahead of the weekend celebrations, Don Jr. and Anderson were technically legally married on Thursday in Palm Beach County, Florida. According to public records, both of their signatures appeared on a marriage certificate officiated by Brad McPherson, a real estate attorney with longtime ties to the Trump family.
Sources say that the couple hoped to keep their wedding details private to ensure the event would remain exclusive and secluded. Doing so helps allay security concerns and allow guests to avoid the logistical chaos and heavy fortification that typically accompanies an event attended by the president.
“While I very much wanted to be with my son, Don Jr., and the newest member of the Trump Family, his soon to be wife, Bettina, circumstances pertaining to Government, and my love for the United States of America, do not allow me to do so. I feel it is important for me to remain in Washington, D.C., at the White House during this important period of time. Congratulations to Don and Bettina!” wrote Trump on Truth Social.

Stay informed! Receive breaking news alerts directly to your inbox for free. Subscribe here. https://www.oann.com/alerts
What do YOU think? Click here to jump to the comments!
Sponsored Content Below
Advertising by Adpathway




