Gunman who opened fire outside White House dies after being shot by Secret Service

Washington – A gunman who opened fire on Secret Service officers outside the White House on Saturday evening has died after being shot, the agency said in a statement.
A bystander was also shot during the exchange of fire, the agency said, without providing the victim’s condition.
After the gunman opened fire on agents at a security checkpoint near the White House, “Secret Service police officers returned fire, striking the suspect, who was transported to an area hospital, where he later died,” the statement said.
The man had been pacing along the street for some time before drawing the weapon and firing, and was struck by agents, a person familiar with the matter said on condition of anonymity to describe a sensitive investigation. The incident appears to be an isolated one, the person said.
The shooting occurred near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, outside the White House complex.
Canadian tourist Reid Adrian said he was in the area when “we heard probably 20 to 25 what sounded like fireworks, but they’re gunshots, and then everyone started running.”
Journalists who were on the White House North Lawn at the time said on X that they were ordered to run and shelter in the press briefing room.
More than two hours before the incident, White House Communications Director Steven Cheung posted that President Donald Trump was in the executive mansion.
FBI Director Kash Patel posted on X that his agency is also assisting the Secret Service.
Saturday’s incident comes a little under a month after federal agents arrested a man at the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner for attempting to assassinate Trump. The suspect attempted to charge through a security checkpoint with firearms.
Trump, 79, has been the target of three alleged assassination attempts.
Advertising by Adpathway




