Trump: ‘An agreement has largely been negotiated’ with Iran, and ‘the Strait of Hormuz will be opened’

OAN Staff Katherine Mosack
2:26 PM – Saturday, May 23, 2026
President Donald Trump held a conference call with leaders of several Middle Eastern nations to discuss a possible peace agreement between the United States and Iran.
On Saturday, the president announced on Truth Social from the Oval Office that he had a “very good call” with Saudi Arabian President Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, United Arab Emirates (UAE) President Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Qatari Emir Tamim bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Qatari Prime Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani, Qatari Minister Ali al-Thawadi, Pakistani Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir Ahmed Shah, Turkey President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi, Jordan King Abdullah II and Bahrainian King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa.
He said the call with the host of Gulf leaders concerned “the Islamic Republic of Iran, and all things related to a Memorandum of Understanding pertaining to PEACE.”
“An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries, as listed,” President Trump stated.
“Separately, I had a call with Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu, of Israel, which, likewise, went very well,” he added. “Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly. In addition to many other elements of the Agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened.”
As U.S. and Iranian negotiators reviewed a Pakistan-mediated draft memorandum of understanding (MOU), Trump previously said he was a “solid 50/50” between resuming military action in Iran and agreeing to a permanent deal to end the conflict that began in late February.
“Either we reach a good deal, or I’ll blow them to a thousand hells,” he told Axios.
Ahead of the meeting, Trump also said there would likely be an update on the negotiations on Sunday.
Pakistan said Saturday there had been “encouraging progress toward a final understanding.”
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei described the proposal as a “framework agreement.”
“We want this to include the main issues required for ending the imposed war and other issues of essential importance to us,” Baghaei said, according to Iranian state TV. “Then, over a reasonable time span, between 30 to 60 days, details are discussed and ultimately a final agreement is reached.”
Secretary of State Marco Rubio, speaking to reporters while in India on Saturday, also signaled potential movement in the negotiation process.
“There’s been some progress made,” Rubio said, adding that “there may be news later today. There may not be. I hope there will be, but I’m not sure yet.”
Rubio reiterated the Trump administration’s requirement that Iran does not develop a nuclear weapon, saying that efforts were underway in Washington to address its stockpiles of highly enriched uranium.
“Even as I speak to you now, there’s some work being done,” Rubio added.
Trump notably missed his son, Donald Trump Jr.’s wedding celebration on Saturday, due to “a thing called Iran.”
Vice President JD Vance also had an unscheduled visit to the White House at the time of the meeting. Video footage of his motorcade rushing down a rain-soaked freeway circulated online on Saturday.
This is a breaking story. Check back for updates.
Stay informed! Receive breaking news alerts directly to your inbox for free. Subscribe here. https://www.oann.com/alerts
What do YOU think? Click here to jump to the comments!
Sponsored Content Below
Advertising by Adpathway




